Help : Edit Charge List
To edit or add to your master charge list, go to the Admin drop down menu and select Manage and then Charges.
Existing charges can be sorted by any column by clicking on the column name. Click again to sort in reverse order. Search by charge name or nickname in the search bar at the top to find a specific charge. The system will search, narrowing the full list of charges, as you type.
To add a new charge to your charge list, click on the "+ Add New Charge" button at the top.
Add New Charge Pop Up
(NOTE depending upon your configuration settings, there may just be a single Amount field at the bottom, rather than the Provider Type/Plan A/Plan B table shown in this screenshot)
At a minimum, you must enter a charge name. The potential fields in the Add New Charge Pop Up are:
- Charge Name and Nicknames - Enter a name for the charge. You can also add 1-3 nicknames if you think that you might look for the charge using alternate names. The nicknames will appear in search results but will not otherwise appear in association with the charge.
- CPT Code and CPT Modifiers - You may associate one or more CPT (procedure) codes with the charge. CPT codes are generally required for third-party (insurance, Medicare, etc.) reimbursement. Associated CPT code(s) will automatically appear with the charge when it is added to a patient's account, though associated CPT(s) can be edited or removed at that time. Multiple CPT codes should be separated by commas.
- Enter CPT modifiers after the relevant CPT code by typing the CPT code followed by either a space or a colon, followed by the modifier.
- You may use the -Find CPT Codes for Charges- search bar to search the database for the CPT code(s) that you would like to associate with a charge.
- "Charge is submittable for insurance" - Check the box to indicate whether the charge is something that is generally covered by insurance. If this box is checked, the charge will appear as an insurance-reimbursable charge on insurance invoices that you generate covering the relevant visit.
- "Is this a supply/product?" - Check the box if the charge is associated with a supply or product that the patient takes home. If this is checked, a quantity option will appear when the charge is added to a patient's account. This also enables the system to generate reports on items sold.
- Charge Type - Use the drop down menu to set a charge type, either by selecting one of the existing options or by typing to create a new charge type. Charge types are mainly used for reporting purposes, but can also be used to change how different categories of charges appear in the EMR.
- Display Color - Use the drop down menu to change the color of the text used to display the charge name anywhere it appears inside the EMR (note: does not affect how the charge is displayed on the Patient Portal). Display color is often used in conjunction with the Charge Type category to make different categories appear in different colors within the EMR.
- Charge Amount - Enter a charge amount. The charge amount may be a single, fixed amount or, if a setting to allow variable charge amounts is enabled on your build (contact us to set this up), the charge amount may vary based on (1) who adds the charge to the patient's account, and/or (2) whether the patient is categorized into billing Plan A, or Plan B. If this setting is enabled for your build, you will see the charge amount table shown in the screenshot above, rather than a single box for the charge amount. Additional information about variable charge amounts:
- Plan B is the default, and Plan A is available for use if you want to create a class of patients that pays discounted (or elevated) rates.
- To enter a single, fixed amount, regardless of who adds the charge or Plan A/B, enter the desired charge amount into the first box (Doctor in Plan A) and press the tab key - that amount will automatically be entered into all other amount fields.
- Description - Add text that will appear when you hover over the charge or click to open/edit the charge.